Does Your State Allow Ownership?

Silencer Ownership

Purchasing a silencer is much easier than you think. Here's how:


Is it legal for you to own a silencer?

Determine if it is legal to own a silencer in the state where you live. You should also make sure that the county in which you live doesn’t have any restrictions that would prevent you from legally owning a silencer. Here’s a list of the current states where it is legal to own a silencer: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV, and WY.


Decide how you want to register your silencer.

There are currently three ways you can register a silencer.

    1. Register as an individual.
      • Obtain the signature of the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) with jurisdiction over your residence.
      • Obtain duplicate copies of your fingerprints. We will refer you to a qualified person.
      • Be advised that only the person registering the silencer can be in possession of the item.

Once the CLEO signature is obtained and the fingerprint card is completed, return the forms to Boss Firearms. Along with the completed forms, you must also submit a $200 check (per item) made payable to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE). This is a one-time transfer tax that must be submitted every time ownership is transferred for any NFA item.

We will then review all forms for accuracy and completeness and submit them to the BATFE for approval.

  1. Register as a Trust.
    • If you don’t already have an attorney, contact Boss Firearms and we can provide you with a list of names.
    • Once you have your trust paperwork in hand, send it to Boss Firearms and we will prepare your paperwork and submit it to the BATFE for approval.
    • There is no need for fingerprint cards or CLEO signature.
    • Anyone listed as a trustee can be in possession of the silencer.
  2. Register as a Corporation.
    • Registering as a Corporation is very similar to a Trust. We suggest you speak with your attorney about the pros and cons to see which route would be best for you.

Now comes the fun part!! Deciding what you want.

We stock various brands and calibers of silencers from all of the leading manufacturers and can order anything you want. Buying an in-stock item will shorten the purchase process because it eliminates the wait-time to have an item transferred to us from the manufacturer or another dealer.

Once you’ve made your decision, click on your item in our online shop, complete the customer registration and follow the steps to purchase your silencer. It’s that easy!



This by far is the hardest part of the process.

At any point you may contact the National Firearms Act Branch of the BATFE (304-616-4500) to check the status of your transfer. Be prepared to provide the serial number of the item you are transferring and your personal information, typically your name and address.

Once the transfer is approved, your paperwork will be mailed to Boss Firearms. The same day it is received you will be contacted to arrange pick up of your item.

For in-state customers, we welcome you to come by and pick up your silencer in person once it has been approved. We can also ship it to an FFL/SOT of your choosing, or if you don’t mind a little extra wait time we can ship it directly to your door.

* If you choose to have it shipped directly to your door the process is as follows:

  •  Once your paperwork is approved, we will have you fill out a 4473 electronically.
  • We will then mail you a hard copy to sign and return to us.
  • When we receive the hard copy back from you we will hold it for the required 7 days, at that time we will mail a copy to your CLEO and mail your silencer to you.

For out of state customers, provide us with your FFL/SOT information and we’ll take care of the rest.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions!